Women Against Registry believes, without any hesitation, reservation, or doubt, that the sex offender registry is detrimental to our society and needs to be abolished. We understand that current public opinion, driven largely by fear and ignorance, creates a tremendous obstacle to the achievement of this goal. In lieu of the immediate sweeping changes we seek, WAR would welcome improvements to the registry such as restricting it to law enforcement use only, the removal of juveniles, and the inclusion of only those at high risk of re-offense as determined by a fair process run by independent professionals. However, despite any short-term victories in this fight for justice, we will continue to work toward the abolition of the registry because:
- It is completely ineffective
- It is the direct cause of deplorable and cruel collateral damage
- It is unconstitutional
- In its current form, it is largely the result of fear-mongering and a lack of knowledge about the facts surrounding this issue.
- It is fiscally irresponsible and wasteful
- We believe it to be immoral, unethical, and illegal
To read the complete Women Against Registry Position Statement, click here.
W.A.R. Position Statement